For several years now I have made it a yearly habit to make a quote from Joss Whedon’s Firefly my motto for the year. One year it was Jayne Cobb’s “Hey, let’s be bad guys,” another it was Malcolm Reynolds’ “I aim to misbehave,” and last year it was “I can kill you with my mind,” courtesy of River Tam. After a little debate, I decided to go with “I’m a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar”- Hoban Washburne. If you’re not a Browncoat, I am not going to ruin the scene for you but I will say that in 2015, I want to take risks. I do not know if I will be successful or not, but I sure will try. Everyone in my social network is choosing one word to describe their 2015 or what they want to define it, and mine will be: soar.
So from all of us at the PJ collective, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Here is a link to my predictions for 2013 from last year: Predictions 2013; let’s go over the results. Results will be in BOLD
1. The MSM will start interviewing “the Nones” more. Um who again?
2. The Gospel Coalition will make sure to remain the Attention pimps of US Christianity. YUPPERS
3. The voices for traditional marriage will grow louder; meanwhile, singles will remain excluded from alot of religious circles. uM WHAT?????
4. Dominionism and David Barton will continue their decline into irrelevance.” Barton has been marginalized into obscurity so, YUPPERS
1. Conservativism will talk about making changes from the inside but won’t. DEFINITELY, and still talking
2. The Tea Party fades away, except on a Congressional level while Occupy remains talked about. People talk about OWS, but it’s when they bring up the Tea Party, both faded from the public’s view, and therefore memory banks
3. Economy improves by a little, false hopes abound. Yeah, generally true.
2. Community will have 3 more seasons and a movie as they leave NBC. YET TO BE DETERMINED, BUT IT WAS RENEWED, SO THERE’S THAT. YEAH.
3. SyFy’s Defiance will fail, but bsg: blood & chrome will rule! My biggest fail in terms of 2013 predictions. BSG:B&C was terrible, couldn’t even finish it. Defiance has gotten rave reviews and a nice following.
4. Man of Steel will be an okay movie, but THOR 2 will be considered the best comic movie of 2013. What can I say? Yup. Dead on the money here. Thor 2: Dark World was all sorts of amazing.
5. The term “blerd” will be officially in Webster Dictionary. Still working on this.
In 2011, I had rather a tame year; on several occasions there were ample opportunities for me to call out other bloggers for being wrong, and I was just like, whatever, I’ll read your B.S. in apathy.
2012. It’s gonna be a different story. First up, Patheos.
For those of you all that haven’t heard, Patheos has become the Borg of religious blogging; (with a few notable exceptions) with their posts in sounding alike, even their more conservative evangelical sites are quite non-controversial. I didn’t know we lived in a world where all Christians believe in relationality, networking, and theological education…. oh wait….
What’s the big deal about religious understanding? (Peace yes, but under whose terms?- my continual harping at hegemony). I side with David Sehat in this regard, on religious freedom. The USA changed from a country where Protestants were free to establish hegemony to a nation that is free to engage in nonviolent legal, political religious conflict (the culture wars, we call them), where our difference are out in the open, where no one denies them. A free and open space which should resist any form of hegemony, public or free market.
So, I am joining Joel Watts in aiming to misbehave in 2012. There is no amount of money that could lead me to accept an invitation from Belief.Net (yeah, good luck trying to keep commenters there) or Patheos for that matter. The purpose of Political Jesus is for persons to have free access to information and opinions that our audience is interested in. It always has been that way, and always will. It is this principled stand for academic freedom, which includes freedom from corporate influence that causes to ban PJ from its citizenry. Its okay China I’ve already called you out as the next great empire, and you’re just threatened.